Friday, January 6, 2012

No Matter the Miles you are Still Close to My Heart...



Tonight I am straying slightly from my previously scheduled blogs :) Okay, I will still be telling about Melissa, but I am going to talk about Jalisa too. Ready, Set, Lets go!

I first met Melissa my second year of Red Rock Camp. She was dating a friend of ours, Ryan. Melissa didnt get to come to camp for the whole week, her father was very sick and she needed to be home to care for him, but she did get to come up for the weekend and this is when I met her. Melissa and I hit it off right away. She was just one of those people that I knew I was going to click with.

Melissa is one of those people in my life who I long to have closer to me, and I know that if she were, we would be hanging out all the time. She is someone who I know that whenever I am in Minnesota, I will be staying with her and Ryan. I LOVE spending time with her. I am typically NOT a dog person, but Melissa has 2 very large dogs, and so I have to become a dog person when I am visiting. I even have a room at their house that I know is "mine" when I come to visit. In my mind I like to think that it is not used for anything else but waiting for my next visit :) Even though I know this is far from reality.

I remember visits with my brother to Ryan and Melissas. Bryan is much more of a dog person that me. And I still remember the night that Bryan found out that Ryan and Melissa had a Sauna in their basement. The rest of us were playing board games, but Bryan could not get his mind off the sauna, and so, he finally asked if he could try it out. Of course, Ryan and Melissa said he could, but what we did NOT expect was for him to take the dog IN THE SAUNA WITH HIM!!! It was a crazy sight to behold :) But a memory that is forever in our hearts.

Melissa is that person who I can share my whole heart with and be totally honest and I know that she will love me no matter what. I can share my feelings with her, sometimes when I feel like I must hide them from others, I know I can always share them with her and she will never judge me. In fact, many times, when I have gotten the courage to share with Melissa, I have found out that she has either walked the road before me or is walking it with me right now. and other times, I realize that I have walked a road before her and am then able to share with her and help her. She is someone that I can always lean on. and I hope that I am someone she can lean on to. Melissa and I were roommates at Red Rock on several occasions, and I LOVED IT. We would lay for hours talking late into the night and then someone drag ourselves out of bed and still be able to counsel our girls the next day :)

Melissa is SO understanding that even after a "goldfish incident" with her husband at a late night young adult event....she is still laughing with me :) oh the inside jokes we have!

Melissa, you truly are a treasured friend to me. I am thankful for your presense in my life. I look forward to our phone calls. I love the excitement of seeing you whenever it is that might be :) I love you and your family. Thank you for being such a great friend!

AND NOW...Jalisa.



I met Jalisa at Red Rock Camp as well. You can see already that this camp is close to my heart, which is why I will be writing an entire blog about it later on. But thats another blog :)

I first met Jalisa when I counseled her my first year of Red Rock Camp. She was in high school.Jalisa and her twin sister Jalayne grew to be 2 of my favorite girls :) I know when counseling you arent supposed to have favorites, but come on, if you have counseled or worked with kids, you know that there are just those ones that tug at your heart strings in special ways. Well, it was during her high school years that I really got to know this girl. and I never expected for us to develop the friendship that we have, but it is a very welcome surprise ;)

Jalisa is one of those friends who I know that I can always have fun with. No matter what, we will always be laughing with each other. We were roommates this past year at camp and it was INSANE how much we were alike! We had one side of the room and 2 other counselors had the other, and OH MY GOSH!! Our side was clearly over run by clothes and curling irons and shoes and any other fashion accessory you could think of :) And we ALWAYS stayed out until the wee hours of the morning with our young adult friends :) The one difference between Jalisa and I, is that I can do this without requiring a nap later in the day, she however, cannot :0) and I love her for that! Id always come in to our room in the afternoon to take a few minutes to breath and be alone and there she was curled up in her little caccoon, "recovering" from our excursions the night before.

Jalisa and I had never had a fight before until this year at camp. It is a fight I will never forget and it wasnt even that big of a deal, but at the time, my little heart thought it was :) I remember I stomped off toward our dorms trying to not be too mad so my heart would be in the right place to lead devotions, but knowing that I was steaming mad too! :) Behind me, Jalisa was in shock, she had never seen me this mad and our friend Ben even said "I have never seen her short little legs move that fast". I guess I was more angry than I thought ;) We worked it out almost as fast as it had started, but I remember realizing that in true friendship you know that you can fight and get mad, but no matter what, that person will be on the other side waiting for you and loving you.

I have had the priviledge of having a couple of overnighters with Jalisa and they are amazing. It is kind of funny because like I said at camp we stay up til all hours of the night, but for some reason, maybe her guest bed was just so comfy, but I fell asleep on the poor girl, TWICE! We would be talking and laughing and all the sudden, I would wake up hours later and realize I had rudely dropped off right in the middle of our talk :)

Jalisa I am very proud of you. I am very thankful to have you in my life. You are a very intrigual part of my life and I would not have near as much joy in my life if it was not for the times we laugh with one another. Thank you for listening to me talk about boys. Thank you for letting me be neurotic and loving me anyways. I have to tell you that I LOVE every moment I get to spend with you, though they are few and far between, I look forward to them when they come. Seeing you and Cameron together is a beautiful picture for me, as I feel that I got to be a small part of that :) Okay, a BIG part, come on, admit it, I am the reason you 2 are together. Okay, but seriously, I did listen to both of you talk endlessly about one another and I LOVED every minute of it.

Melissa and Jalisa. I love you both so much! Thank you for loving me too!!

No comments:

Post a Comment