Sunday, January 8, 2012

Grandparents are THE BEST!

I have shared with you about my parents, my baby brother, my very BESTFRIENDS! And now its time to meet my grandparents. Here is the deal friends, I dont want you to feel sorry for me in this next part, because I know that I will meet them someday and live with them forever, but I never met any of my real grandparents.

I shared with you in my story of my parents about my mothers parents. Her father was killed in a very freak electrical accident and her mother lost her 10 year battle to Breast Cancer, both happening before she met my father and let alone had children. When I was younger I LONGED for my grandparents and I was mad I never had them in my life. My cousins on this side are quite a bit older than me and they would talk about summers at Grandma and Grandpas and I could only dream what it was like. HOWEVER, I know that I have some things from them that none of my other family does. My brother and I have our red hair from our grandmother. A few other cousins have it too, and I know that is a gift that we can cherish from her :0) Many people in our community knew my grandmother and I get told quite often how much I am like her. She had a big heart, she loved children, she loved to sing, and she cared about others more than herself. People are always talking about the amazing legacy she led and how I have that same legacy because of the life I am choosing to lead. So even though I never "met" her, I feel like I know her. Because my mother is just like her :)

My dads mom died when I was 7, but we didnt know her that well and his dad died before we were born. But, we have had some incredible adopted grandparents in our lives. I dont have pictures of them, sorry :(

Grandma and Grandpa Lindsey were our adopted grandparents when were growing up, we rented a duplex and they lived in the bottom half and we lived in the top. They would make treats for us quite often. Grandma with her cookies and Grandpas Peanut Brittle. Every holiday was spent with them. We would have big meals together and when mom was done cooking we would head down our spiral staircase to the house below.

At Thanksgiving, before we could eat, we went around the table sharing what we were tahnkful for. At Christmas, Grandpa read the Christmas Story and then wed share a delicious meal. Everytime as well as prayer before meals, we would sing, "This is the Day", Grandpa was always reminding us that no matter what the day held, God was at the center of all of it and we always had a reason to rejoice. Grandpa and Grandma had a dog and they shared her with us. Everyday after school Ginger would come bounding up our stairs to greet us, we would get to walk her, give her treats, and play with her.

They had unconditional love for us and loved us as their own grandchildren. They have both gone on to be with the Lord now, but their legacy and the time they chose to give 2 children grandparents lives on for eternity.

I now have 2 new adopted Grandparents. Gpa Bob and Gma Betty. 2 older people in our church that have really reached out to me. They call everyday to see how dad and I are doing and if they dont call, we call them. Gma Betty is a great encouragement to me! She is always spurring me on to live my life for Christ and use the talents he has given me.

I can call her for recipes and she is always ready to give them to me. If I need to talk, she is ready to listen. The other day, I made some cupcakes and took them to her and was at her house for 3 hours talking to her and Gpa Bob about life. It was just like having real grandparents.

Gpa Bob has COPD and his breathing is getting very bad. He doesnt know how long he has left, but he knows where he is going and he has joy in that. They are 2 of my biggest supporters and I am greatful to have them in my life. I am going to enjoy my time with Gpa Bob while he is still here and be ready to support Gma Betty when hes not, the way she has supported me.

Grandparents are a treasure in life and I am truly greatful for the ones God has brought into my life, even if not by blood, but by heart. I love you Gpas and Gmas!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment